Use of Funds
Donations benefit the students and teachers in our public schools. The Board of Trustees are chosen from the local community and serve for three-year terms. The York Foundation for Public Education, Inc. provides limited and specifically targeted financial support for initiatives that enhance the educational programs of our schools. These include, but are not limited to:
- Grants to teachers for innovative projects focused on Virginia’s SOLs K-12
- Support of continuing education for teachers and school administrators
- Community-based promotions for recruitment and retention of highly-qualified teachers and school administrators
- Career education programs that emphasize the needs and requirements of local businesses
- Supportive assistance of the high school mentorship program
- Recognition of exemplary student achievement
- Financial support for students selected to compete at national and international levels
- Assistance for continuing education for graduating seniors in each high school
- Grants for school-wide initiatives that help to reshape, enhance or improve education for all students within the school
- Assistance for socially and economically disadvantaged families
Foundation Policy Position
Foundation funds are directed toward support of the school system for program priorities where public funds are either not available or not appropriate. No funding will be provided to supplant funds required for the constitutional and legal program obligations of the York County community.
One hundred percent of all donations and proceeds (after costs) are returned directly to Foundation programs. The York County School Division provides in-kind and cash support to include office space, staff salaries and benefits, and incidental costs.
The York Foundation for Public Education, Inc., in support of its mission, pursues a variety of fund-raising activities which may include, but not be limited, to the following:
- Participation in community-wide charitable fund raising networks such as United Way, Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)
- Ticketed events to include activities such as golf tournaments, community festivals, etc.
- Solicitation of alumni and private citizen endowments and gifts
- Solicitation of business and corporate grants, endowments, and gifts
- Employee payroll deductions
Student Service Award Winners and Pledge of Allegiance Recognitions
Since 2014, the York Foundation for Public Education, Inc. and Jeanne Fiocca, owner of Cookie Text ~An Edible Tweet! have been presenting complimentary cookies to Student Service Award recipients and student leaders for the Pledge of Allegiance at monthly school board meetings.
YFPE TowneBank Teacher of The Year Recognitions
The York Foundation for Public Education, Inc. along with the manager of the Yorktown Branch of TowneBank and Brian Skinner, Regional President of TowneBank, surprise three York County School Division Teacher of the Year finalists on a prize patrol with a $250 gift card. Each of the schools also receive a check for $200 to be used for instructional enhancement. TowneBank, has committed to endow this award forever.